1. Apply to the position of New Graduate RN Residency Program on the Tallahassee Memorial HealthCare job board. Please note the position is only open during the application dates listed above.
2. Please email the following documents to complete the application process. This must be done during the application period.
A professional resume to include:
- GPA - Overall GPA accompanied by unofficial transcripts
- Employment History- organization, dates, job title, responsibilities
- Volunteer Service- name of organization, role, and responsibilities
- Leadership roles in work, school or service organization; honors & awards
- Academic clinical experiences: institution name, unit, dates and brief descriptions of care provided and competencies performed
- Two professional letters of recommendation, one of which can be from a clinical faculty member
A Cover Letter addressing the topics below:
- TMH's vision is to "Lead our community to be the healthiest in the Nation", how do you see your role as a nurse in helping us achieve this?
- Why do you want to begin your career at TMH?
- What are your expectations of this program and how will it help you achieve your goals?
- Why should you be chosen for this residency program?
- How do your experiences outside of the nursing field relate to your nursing career?
- What was your favorite clinical experience and why?
- How do your long term career goals align with TMH?
3. Selected candidates will participate in a series of interviews with the Nurse Recruiter, Nurse Residency Program Coordinator and Nurse Managers. These interviews will be scheduled by the Nurse Recruiter and will conclude four to six weeks after the application period closes.
4. Candidates offered employment at TMH will be contacted approximately three weeks prior to the start date indicated and further information will be given as to their start of employment. Those not receiving offers of employment will also be notified within the same timeframe with a message of appreciation for their interest in nursing at TMH. All accepted candidates must have a verifiable license with the Florida Board of Nursing prior to date of employment.
The participant will:
- Attend and actively participate in all activities in the program including: projects, online courses, small groups, journals and career planning. All of the program activities take place during paid hours off the unit.
- Complete all assignments in the program which include: projects, online courses, classes, journals and a career plan.
- Complete all program evaluation and participant satisfaction surveys
- There is a financial commitment by TMH to the residency program for each resident. TMH asks that each resident also commit to TMH for a period of two clinical years, which is supported by a $5,000 obligation to TMH by the resident if the agreement is not fulfilled.
What is a Nurse Residency Program?
The Nurse Residency Program at Tallahassee Memorial HealthCare is a year-long series of learning experiences designed to support new nurses as they transition into professional nursing practice. All new nurse graduates will be enrolled in the program and begin employment at TMH in one of the three groups admitted each year.
What are the criteria for admission?
Full time RNs who are
- New graduates who will be licensed in the state of Florida as RNs prior to the date listed below.
- Florida licensed RNs who have less than 6 months experience as a registered nurse in a hospital setting.
Is a BSN degree required?
Associate and BSN graduates are all eligible for the program. BSN applicants will be given priority. It is expected that AS graduates will be committed to completion of the BSN degree within three years.
What will my schedule be during the Residency?
The first week of employment will be full time, 8-4:30 weekdays. When you begin the unit orientation you will work the same hours as your Preceptor. Once orientation to the unit is completed, you will move to the regularly scheduled pattern of shifts for your position. Time dedicated to the Residency Program activities will be accommodated in your schedule.
What will I be paid while in the Residency Program?
All hours worked during the residency are paid at your regular RN rate. There is no change in the beginning salary for new graduates and there is no pay adjustment upon completion of the program.
Is it possible to take time off during the residency?
Yes, paid leave and requests for time off will follow TMH policy.
Do I have to participate in the Residency Program to become employed at TMH as a new graduate?
Yes, all new graduates will be enrolled in the Residency Program.
Does this program replace the traditional orientation program?
No, this program complements and supplements the traditional orientation. All new graduates will complete the traditional orientation which has class, online and clinical practice experiences. The orientation will take place on the clinical unit for which the nurse is hired.
What if I do not like the unit I work on during my first two years of employment?
Requests for unit transfers are considered on an individual basis according to TMH policy.
To speak with the Nursing Recruiter please contact 850-431-5250 or by email.