Child Life Program
Our Child Life Program is designed to help children and their families cope more effectively with the experiences of hospitalization and illness.
Child Life Specialist
A child life specialist is someone who specializes in child development and children’s reactions to hospitalization. We have a child life specialist on staff to provide support for both you and your child.
Your child life specialist is available to
- Provide developmentally appropriate explanations for tests and procedures
- Provide procedural support
- Make sure your child has opportunities to play
The Child Life Program provides:
Treatment & Care Support
- Medical play with both real and pretend medical equipment
- Developmentally appropriate explanations for tests, procedures and illnesses (using books, dolls and buddies)
- Procedural support
- Therapeutic play opportunities
- Normal play opportunities at the bedside and in the playroom
- Advocacy for family-centered care
Additional Support Services
- School transitioning support
- Bereavement support
- Literacy program
- Art program
- Special event coordination
- Donation coordination
- Community outreach as needed
The playroom is a procedure-free zone where children and teens can engage in games and art activities. Medical staff is welcome to come and play with the children, but nothing medical is to take place in this area. Toys and activities are available for infants, toddlers, preschoolers, school-age children and adolescents.
The TMH Super Kids, Ace and Tally, are on a mission to help kids be healthy.
Read More >
Your child’s hospitalization can be a stressful time. Learn what to expect.
Read More >