12 percent of adult hospital admissions in a recent study were for genetic causes. 10 percent of chronic diseases have a genetic component. At the TMH Physician Partners - Clinical Genetics Center, we provide consultative care for adults who are at-risk for an inherited genetic disorder or are already suspected to have a genetic disorder (either pre-diagnosed or needing a comprehensive evaluation). Referrals can include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Genetic condition who would like periodic monitoring by a genetic specialist.
- Family history of a genetic condition.
- Triplet repeat disorders such as Huntington disease, spinocerebellar ataxias, myotonic dystrophy, etc.
- Hereditary cancer syndrome in patient or an at-risk patient.
- Cardiomyopathies (Dilated or hypertrophic).
- Long QT syndrome.
- Genetic disorders of childhood onset with transition to adulthood with creations of plans of care for their primary care physician.
- Early onset Parkinson’s or Alzheimer’s disease that often have a hereditary component.
- Neurodegenerative disorders.
- Movement disorders.
- Neurocutaneous disorders (NF or Tuberous Sclerosis).
- Mitochondrial disorders.
- Marfan’s syndrome and other connective tissue disorders.
- Suspected genetic disorder.