Cancer is a common disease. Fortunately, 90% of cancers are sporadic. However, 5-10% of cancers have a genetic component,. Even higher genetic associations are noted with renal cell carcinoma, adrenocortical carcinoma, Wilm’s tumor and retinoblastomas.
It is crucial to identify families with a hereditary predisposition to cancer as they can then take steps to prevent or diagnose in early stages particular cancers enhancing long term-survival. We accept referrals for the following:
- Breast cancer.
- Ovarian cancer.
- Strong family history of cancers.
- Early age diagnosis of cancer.
- Multiple primary tumors or bilateral (such as breast cancer).
- Certain colon cancers (FAP, PJS, HNPCC).
- A pattern of cancer consistent with a hereditary cancer syndrome (Li Fraumeni, Gorlin syndrome, etc).