Criteria for Referral to the Lipid Consultation Center
- Patients with significant risk of coronary heart disease who are either non-compliant or intolerant to lipid-lowering medications. Intolerance is often perceived and patients benefit from education and/or novel drug combinations, such as low dose statin combined with an intestinal agent.
- Patients with known CHD or CHD equivalent who do not reach the goal of LDL of 70 or non-HDL of 100 mg/dl with statin monotherapy, and there is concern over the safety of combination therapy.
- Patients with metabolic syndrome who require both significant therapeutic lifestyle modification, as well as combination lipid medications, especially those who have prediabetes or diabetes.
- Patients with genetic lipid disorders, such as familial hypercholesterolemia, familial combined hyperlipidemia, primary hypertriglyceridemia, and the chylomicronemia syndrome.
- Patients with strong family history of coronary heart disease with relatively normal lipids who may need additional risk stratification to decide on therapy.
Office Hours for consultations are 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., Monday through Thursday. For appointments call 850-431-5404. Consultations will be scheduled as soon as records are received. Initial and follow-up reports will follow promptly after patients are seen. All insurances will be accepted, including Medicare and Medicaid.