Why Pediatric Neuropsychological Testing?
Neuropsychologists are psychologists who have specialized training in brain anatomy, neuropathology, brain-behavior relationships and the evaluation of brain-based abilities. In the pediatric population, neuropsychologists are specially trained to evaluate children who have medical and/or neurodevelopmental conditions affecting their cognitive functioning. Standardized tests are used to measure a child’s neurodevelopmental progress and to characterize cognitive areas of strength and weakness. Pediatric neuropsychologists interpret these test results and write an individualized report describing the child’s cognitive abilities. The report provides recommendations and resources that will help to guide educational planning, behavioral interventions, and other supportive services.
Who May Qualify for Referral?
- Patients must be medically stable and without grossly impaired vision or hearing.
- Patients must be 3 – 17 years of age.
- Patients who possibly exhibit the following conditions:
- Cerebral palsy
- Spina bifida
- Tuberous sclerosis
- Brain tumors
- Head trauma
Other Medical Conditions
- Chronic heart/breathing problems
- Genetic disorders
- Cancer treatment
- Early malnutrition/neglect
- Premature birth or very low birth weight
Developmental or School Problems
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Global developmental delay
- Heavy metals (e.g., lead)
- Illicit drugs
What is the Pediatric Neuropsychological Evaluation Process?
The evaluation process is comprehensive and tailored to each patient. There is an initial appointment, followed by a testing session and a feedback session. The evaluation assists with differential diagnosis and treatment planning. Diagnoses, prognosis, and treatment recommendations are discussed with family in the feedback session.
Making a Pediatric Neuropsychology Referral
- We accept self-pay, BCBS and CHP.
- We generate a formal report for families and referral providers within 30 days of the testing session.
- Unfortunately, we are unable to assess non-English speaking patients at this time.
For more information on pediatric neuropsychological services or to refer a patient, please call 850-431-5001.
Allison Moltisanti, PhD
Florida Licensed Psychologist
TMH Physician Partners - Neurology Specialists
1401 Centerville Rd, Suite 504
Tallahassee, Florida 32308
Contact Our Team Online