At Tallahassee Memorial, we provide specialized palliative care for hospital patients with chronic or serious life-limiting illnesses. Our palliative care consultation team works together with the physician to coordinate care that focuses on the patient and family's individual needs.
The goal of palliative care is to provide you and your family with the best quality of life for as long as possible by assisting with the physical, emotional, social and spiritual stresses associated with life-limiting illness. This specialized inpatient care is appropriate at any stage of a life-limiting illness, even while you are getting treatment to cure your disease.
Who Provides Palliative Care?
The palliative care consultation team is comprised of a board-certified physician, nurse practitioners and chaplains who focus on the unique needs of patients and families faced with chronic, serious illnesses to improve quality of life.
What is the Difference Between Palliative Care and Hospice?
Palliative care is appropriate at any time during a person’s chronic and/or serious illness and can be provided at the same time the person is being treated for his or her disease. Hospice care offers care to patients with a terminal illness with a life expectancy of six months or less and not receiving life-prolonging treatment. Palliative care can help to:
- Identify what is important to you.
- Manage symptoms such as pain, shortness of breath, fatigue, loss of appetite and difficulty sleeping.
- Coordinate care and assist with communication among your doctors.
- Provide education that helps you understand your illness and what the most likely outcome (prognosis) will be.
- Explain what treatment options are available.
- Ensure that you and your family understand the possible impact that care choices may have on your quality of life.
- Reevaluate your options and establish new priorities should your condition or needs change.
- Deliver compassionate care that allows you and your family to achieve peace of mind and well-being.
- Help transition between healthcare settings.