The Pharmacy Department Overview
The Pharmacy Department operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week with approximately 60 employees. The entire team works together to assure patients receive the highest quality of pharmaceutical care possible.
The primary mission of the department is to strive to provide pharmaceutical care that merits the confidence of those we serve. The Pharmacy Department enters over 1,500 orders per day, dispenses over 10,000 doses of medications per day and maintains a $1 million drug inventory.
- IV admixture: hyperalimentation, chemotherapy, newborn/pediatric doses
- Order Entry via PharmNet
- Centralized and decentralized services
- Training of new pharmacists, technicians, and students
- Clinical consults
- Pharmacokinetic consults
- Anticoagulation monitoring
- Drug interaction monitoring
- Renal dosing
- Multidisciplinary rounds
- Formulary management
Antibiotic Stewardship Program
Antibiotic stewards are responsible users of these life-saving drugs. Antibiotic resistance is a worldwide problem when bacteria “out-smart” an antibiotic, and the medicine no longer works for certain infections.
How does TMH combat antibiotic resistance?
- Established an Antibiotic Stewardship Program, which meets regularly to monitor antibiotic use at TMH.
- Includes Infectious Diseases, Microbiology, Infection Control, and Pharmacy specialists.
- The program is committed to promoting optimal use of antibiotics throughout the hospital.
- Implemented advanced technology to rapidly identify resistant bacteria in the microbiology lab.
- Reviews local antibiotic resistance trends and uses this information to inform antibiotic prescribing.