To enhance the comfort of patients at Tallahassee Memorial through the efforts of volunteers by:
- Recruiting and managing quality volunteers that meet the needs and strategic plan of Tallahassee Memorial HealthCare
- Creating a culture that values all volunteers and assists them in developing their full potential in order to best serve at TMH
TMH Volunteer Services
1300 Miccosukee Road
Tallahassee, Florida 32308
Due to the nature of care and for the safety of our patients, all volunteers are carefully screened, processed and placed in assignments that meet a need established by Tallahassee Memorial. This process includes undergoing a criminal background check and drug test, TB (tuberculosis) skin test, proof of immunizations, and a volunteer orientation. The screening process may take up to 2-3 weeks to complete.
- Application Form: To become a volunteer at Tallahassee Memorial Hospital, the first step is to submit a Volunteer Application. If there is a suitable opening, you will be contacted with instructions to complete the security and health screenings outlined below.
Submit a Volunteer Application
- Security Screening: A criminal history check and drug screening will be completed for each volunteer. Fingerprints are also required for access to certain hospital units. Fees may apply.
- Health Screening: A TB skin test and up-to-date immunization information is required for all volunteers.
- Orientation: Upon completion of security and health screenings, volunteers will participate in an orientation. Live and online versions are available.
- Training: All volunteers will receive training related to their area of service.
At Tallahassee Memorial HealthCare, we have many volunteer groups and programs that may be right for you.
Perfect for adult volunteers (men and women) who wish to commit to one 4-hour shift per week. Committees include waiting room hosts, information desk hosts, retail specialists, tea service, goodwill ambassadors, patient care areas, fund raising, and special projects. Established in 1949 and over 180 members strong, this dynamic group of volunteers provides over 65,000 hours of service to TMH annually. Social functions and networking are a big part of this volunteer group! Service pins are awarded to Auxiliary volunteers.
Due to the large demand for college student volunteer positions, the application has been taken offline for any assignment in the Fall 2019 semester.
Your next opportunity to apply will be for the Spring 2020 semester. Please check back October 1 when the application will go back online.
TMH offers a summer program to high school students entering the 11th and 12th grades in the next school year. It is an intense, three-week, all-day long experience for those interested in pursuing a career in healthcare. This summer the program runs June 10 -28. Students interested in this program for the 2019 summer session, download the application, complete and submit to Volunteer Services. Students will receive more information once all applications have been reviewed. Applications can be sent to Volunteer Services by the following means.
USPS mail (postmarked by March 31, 2019):
1300 Miccosukee Road
Tallahassee, FL 32308
Animal Therapy Volunteers
The Tallahassee Memorial Animal Therapy Program is a highly-visible and valuable community and regional asset that serves the spectrum of Leon County and the Big Bend. The program’s nationally-registered and trained animal therapy volunteer teams visit hospitals, hospices and centers for long-term care, assisted living rehabilitation and adult day care. Public schools, libraries, bookstores and even courthouses also benefit from animal therapy team visits. This program requires specific training for both animal and handler. Learn more about the Animal Therapy Program. Learn more about Animal Therapy
Music / Art Therapy Volunteers
Music and art play an important role in the healing process for our patients. Volunteers often play instruments, sing or provide art therapy as requested by patients or staff. Volunteers also play in the hospital Atrium or at special hospital functions as needed.
Artists can also provide volunteer help by painting murals, providing artwork to hang in designated hospital areas or with special art projects as needed.
Civic Group Volunteers
Civic Groups such as churches, sororities, fraternities, high school clubs, scout troops and many others can provide valuable service projects to TMH. Ways to help may include gathering and assembling “care” packages for patients, helping with renovation projects, adopting a patient room or area, gathering clothing for the Clothes Closets, isolation activity kits, providing new toys and books for the Pediatric Unit and many other special projects. Unfortunately, due to privacy laws and infection control policies, we are unable to allow groups to make patient visits. For more information, please email VolunteerServices@TMH.ORG.